The World Hypertension Day was first inaugurated in May 2005, since then it has become an annual event.
The purpose of the World Hypertension Day is to promote public awareness about hypertension (high blood pressure) and to encourage people of all countries to prevent and manage this modern epidemic.
The theme of World Hypertension Day is “know your numbers” along with the goal of increasing awareness about high blood pressure. The theme is based on global statistics, which indicate that only 50% of individuals with hypertension knew that they actually have high blood pressure. In many populations, the awareness is critically low.
To increase hypertension awareness, there are two crucial components:
- Establish community blood pressure screening programs
- Promote routine measurement of blood pressure by medical professionals
The most important step to manage hypertension and help achieve the United Nations goal of 25% reduction in uncontrolled high blood pressure is to improve the diagnosis of hypertension. Experts are leaving no stone unturned when it comes to implementing World Hypertension Day screening globally.
Researchers encourage all members and affiliated healthcare organisations to contribute reports on blood pressure screening.
The healthcare professionals affiliated with the British and Irish Hypertension Society work in the field of hypertension and cardiovascular disease in the UK and Ireland. The society comprises GPs, nurses and other medical workers specialising in the delivery of care in hypertension.
The society offers a wide segment of scientific and education programs, which include:
- the production and regular updating of internationally illustrated guidelines for the management of hypertension
- an information service for medical professionals
- a validation service for the manufacturers of blood pressure monitors
- coordinating research into various aspects of hypertension and heart diseases
- holding scientific meetings that cover all aspects of research
- delivery of care for people with hypertension and cardiovascular disease
On this World Hypertension Day, Pharmacy Outlet encourages people to know about hypertension and about its risk factors, causes, management, prevention and screening by consulting a GP.