A sore throat is characterised by the pain, irritation or itchiness of the throat. The pain and discomfort aggravates when you swallow food or drink liquids. Other associated symptoms are dryness of throat, hoarseness, swollen gland in the neck and white patches over the tonsils. Throat pain can affect anybody, irrespective of age and gender, but the risk is high in some sensitive people.
- Pain in throat with itching and irritation that aggravates during gulping solids and liquids
- Consult doctor if the symptoms persist for more than a week or associated with other symptoms like fever, skin rash, joint pain and breathlessness
- Managing mild sore throat with warm water gargle, soothing lozenges, OTC painkillers or other medicines is effective
Most of the cases of sore throat are due to viral infection; however, certain bacteria can also increase the risk of throat pain. Allergic conditions are also responsible for giving rise to sore throat. Smoking and excessive use of vocal cords can develop sore throat. In addition, digestive disorders and gastrointestinal reflux disease may also increase the soreness of throat.
Managing sore throat
Many sore throat cases are treatable at home; they do not require medical intervention. In severe cases, the treatment depends on the causative factor. Home care for sore throat includes –
- Gargling with warm saline water
- Drinking plenty of warm fluids like herbal teas and soups
- Taking throat lozenges
- Avoiding triggering factors – allergens and irritants like chemicals or smoke
- Quitting smoking
- Using anti-inflammatory (painkillers) medicine to reduce pain
If your sore throat is due to bacterial infection, your doctor will prescribe specific antibiotic. If your sore throat is caused by viral infection, you may need antiviral drug therapy, painkillers and decongestants.
At PharmacyOutlet, you can come across a wide range of medications that are beneficial for treating sore throat. Make sure you use any medicine after consulting a medical professional.